Second #DevtIDEAS Debate: Growth or equity: which comes first?
Development Ideas invites you to its second live #DevtIDEAS Debate!!
This event has ended. View the video and summary of the event.
Growth or equity: which comes first?
When thinking about development economics, inevitably a tension of priorities arises: growth or social equity. While the 2008 financial crisis gave prominence to economic growth in recent years, there is a renewed interest in social equity and inclusion for a more just society. However, growth versus equity is not an academic debate. The actions inspired by the either side of the argument affect the lives of real people. Four #DevtIDEAS debaters will defend the merits of each position, examining the trade-offs and shifting trends.
Be it resolved that the economics of growth is a more urgent priority than the politics of equity
This debate will be in English, and it organized in collaboration with the Economic Research Forum.
- Khaled Ezzelarab, Editor-in-Chief of the website Aswatmasriya.com
- Shantayanan Devarajan, Chief Economist, MENA Region, World Bank
- Hoda Selim, Economist, Economic Research Forum(ERF)
- Ravi Kanbur, T.H. Lee Professor of World Affairs, Cornell University
- Ahmed Galal, Managing Director, Economic Research Forum (ERF)
December 10, 2014 14H00 UTC (16H00 Cairo, 14H00 London, 9H00 New York)
Register for updates and watch the live stream directly on the Google+ Event page (you do not need a Google account).
Participate in the poll – have your say, ahead of the debate.
About Google+ Hangouts
We host our online debates on Google+ Hangouts as it is easily accessible and does not require you to download an application.
- You do not need a Google account to RSVP or watch the live broadcast.
- For best results, we recommend that you restart your computer before the session starts, close all other applications, and connect your computer directly to an Internet source, if possible.
- There will be a live Q&A box where you can enter your questions and comments during the debate (you need a Google account for this feature). If you do not have a Google account, you can ask questions on Twitter using the hashtag #DevtIDEAS or by posting a comment at the bottom of the event blog post (find thr link above or find it in the Discussion blog).
If you need any help, please email email@example.com.
#DevtIDEAS Debates are a series of live chats organized by Development Ideas — a space for thinkers and practitioners to learn, share and debate about international development. The site is facilitated by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), in collaboration with the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) and the United Nations University (UNU).